Contact the Alien Home
contact me

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Yesterday, I called Pontiac to see if they could do anything about my dead GTO, and it turns out the car is still under warranty, and even the towing is covered. So, James at Champion Pontiac-GMC should have my car today and it should be ready by Friday, so I can walk over and pick it up. Hopefully, the Toyo Proxis T1-R tires that I bought yesterday will be in sometime this weekend as well, so I can get some new summer shoes on my Goat. I can't wait to burn out my old tires until they smoke.

For dinner last night, I ordered 1 sushi, 1 nigiri, and 1 roll (which ended up being 8 pieces). On top of that, I ordered tonkatsu (pork cutlet schnitzel) udon (thick wheat noodles), but they just gave me a plate of tonkatsu, with salad on the side. I should have been tipped off by the waitress offering me miso soup before my meal. Since the tonkatsu udon was in broth, so I said as the lady walked away "I already ordered soup". Anyway it ended up being too much food, but I'm too disciplined an eater so I cleared everything on my plate, except for the bowl of rice (that I took back to the hotel with me).

On the way back, I looked for a store that sold Gears of War for the Xbox 360. There's an EB Games right next to Edo, but they had none that were used or new. So I searched the stores that were along the route back to the hotel. I first stopped and bought a copy at Toys 'Я' Us, but found a blockbuster just a few blocks away. So, I just rented a copy and returned the game to Toys 'Я' Us. I played a little bit, but couldn't really get into before I had to get some sleep. I figured I'd be sleeping in a little, but still needed time to get the ice off my rental car and get into the office before 8:00.

Sure enough, I was awakened by the sound of ice being scraped off windshields and the tapping of icy snow on my hotel window. The snow was icy but, powdery and my dress shoes sank right into it. Fortunately, I upgraded to black gym socks from thin dress socks. My feet were warm, even when buried in the snow. My hands, however, suffered quite a bit as I was brushing the snow off the glass. It flew off the back face of the scraper and pelted my hands with icy pain. One that was over, I took the slow drive to work, practically idling the entire way. Other than being very slow it was uneventful. Still, there's plenty of work to do today so, even though my co-workers are heading to the airport this afternoon (or earlier, due to the weather) I'm here until tomorrow afternoon.

Labels: , , ,

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Life on the road, Cage. Life on the road.

Yesterday, I got introduced to the crew at my new job. My impression is that I will be working with a lot of intelligent, well educated, very motivated group. My boss took me out for "first lunch" which is always sushi. We went to a place called Nobel Fish which had very high quality at reasonable prices. I had a bunch of Michigan Rolls (salmon, avocado, and crab meat, wrapped in nori and sushi rice on the outside) and a really fresh fatty tuna. So much food, I actually ate sushi as a meal (which I usually don't do, because of the price). We walked out for right around $15 each, and I was full.

After work, I decided to deal with a problem that I encountered the first night that I got into the hotel. It turns out, the TVs only have an RF input on the back of the box, and since all I had was A/V (RCA) and component video (for HD), I needed a converter. Since I didn't rent a car this trip, I was hoping there would be a local shop that would sell a product I could use.

Turns out, the RadioShack that was nearby had something that worked, but... they were over 3 miles away, and it was getting dark... and it was starting to snow... and it was very windy. I figured I could make it there and back on foot, but it turns out, I couldn't. I got about 2/3 of the way there (without gloves or a hat) and had to stop in to a CVS to warm up. Fortunately, I really needed toothpaste and some chapstick so I walked around inside for a while while I soaked up enough heat to get me all the way to the parking lot of the mall that contained the RadioShack. I say the parking lot because, as I was walking from the edge of the lot to the mall entrance, the wind really picked up and blew every degree of heat from my head, starting with my ears, then jolting down the sides of my face. My eyes were watering from the cold gusts that blasted them dry. I finally made it into the mall, and found a directory that took me 20 minutes to decipher, probably due to the lack of warm blood to my brain. The whole time that I was frantically searching through the lists of mall vendors, I was thinking that the RadioShack was not really in the mall at all. I didn't bring the directions with me, so it was possible that it was out at the edge of the parking lot. Fortunately, I found the number, and then the location. I bought my goods and had dinner in the food court at Chester Fried Chicken, where they had an assortment of fried fish on a homemade sign next to the register.

The fried chicken warmed me up, but not enough to, persuade me into a walk back to the hotel, so I called a cab using 411 on my phone. I ended up leaving a message which, after repeated calls to different cab companies, turned out to be some sort of Detroit area cab call in number. The were supposed to call back, but my cell phone died as I was leaving a message, so I wasn't sure if they even got it. I went back into RadioShack, but they wanted too much for their phone charger, and half of the kiosks around the mall were cell phone accessory vendors. A charger, and about 15 minutes of charge cost me almost $20! I talked with the middle eastern guy who sold the charger to me while he was watching "Night at the Museum" on his computer (which was still in theaters).

I finally got through to a cab company and was picked up a few minutes afterwards. Once I got back to the hotel, I set up the Xbox and got ready to log into Xbox Live. The Xbox wouldn't log in for the exact same reason as my first attempt to log into Live at Bo's. Something to do with the MTU setting on the router, which I most likely couldn't access, so I was stuck. Perhaps the next hotel that I stay at won't have the same problem. I ended up playing the demo to Dead Rising until it was time to get some sleep. I will have to get up early to meet a few more people, and get some final coaching on how to do my new job.

Labels: , ,


Powered by Blogger Valid HTML 4.01!